VACANCY – DRIVER.
ALIGHT works with its partners and constituencies to provide opportunities and expertise to refugees, displaced people and host communities – to better survive conflicts and crisis, and to rebuild lives of dignity, health, security and self-sufficiency. ALIGHT presently works in and with partners in seventeen countries globally. ALIGHT has consistently operated in Rwanda since the year 1994, and today has a strong and committed team of over eight hundred personnel who include full time staff, community mobilizers and incentive workers– implementing programs in Primary Health Care, Reproductive Health, HIV and Nutrition; also Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Shelter and general Infrastructure, Livelihoods/Economic strengthening, and Sexual and Gender Based Violence Prevention/ Protection. Our work in Rwanda currently covers all the refugee locations and their kind Rwandan-host communities. And we are always looking to expand and, jointly with our partners, offer lasting impact with and for the communities we serve! ALIGHT is looking for a qualified, self-driven and committed individual to join its Team as Driver in any of the locations that ALIGHT has operations.
The Driver will technically support the implementation of programs in accordance with ALIGHT Rwanda annual work plan and as per administrative/transportation regulations and standard operating procedures. He/she will be responsible for transporting program, administrative and refugee staff by vehicle with ALIGHT areas of operation.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drive office vehicles for the transportation of ALIGHT staff and visitors with other authorized personnel
- Transport ALIGHT goods to their destination in a safe, responsible and timely manner
- Collection and delivery of mail, documents and other courier items in a safe, responsible and timely manner
- Ensure that all assignments and trips are authorized, embarked on and completed on time, with all travel and delivery requirements as per the office standards
- Oversee the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles including checking the oil, water, battery, brakes, tires etc. and log them in the start-of-the-day checklist
- Perform minor repairs and/or arrange for other repairs by logging and urgently reporting to the supervisor
- Ensure that vehicles are driven safely, optimizing engines use, economizing fuel as well as minimizing wear and tear
- Report all vehicle maintenance problems, incidents, accidents and damage using official forms immediately to the supervisor
- Guard vehicle against theft and vandals and ensure that vehicles are locked and parked in the officially assigned locations
- Ensure that the steps required by ALIGHT rules and regulations are taken into consideration in case of involvement in an incident or accident or damage to the vehicle
- Appropriately log official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing etc. using the official ALIGHT/UNHCR log books
- Submit assigned vehicle performance and activities accounted for at the end of every week to the supervisor
- Maintain vehicle safety standards as per the ALIGHT driver’s guidelines at all times
- Ensure full accountability for time, assignments and activities on a weekly basis to the supervisor
- Ensure the cleanliness of the vehicle at all times
- Respect the speed limits and obey all other Rwanda traffic laws when driving ALIGHT vehicles
- Be available to work longer hours, after hours and weekends, and when necessary or in an emergency
- Assist in loading and unloading of vehicles when necessary
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor, or any other ALIGHT Senior Manager.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- High school diploma
- Valid Rwanda driver’s license Level B&D
- Demonstrated understanding of transportation law
- Excellent driving skills with minimum 5 years’ experience as driving with good driving record
- Experience in driving through the remote parts of the country
- Good judgment in traffic and knowledge of traffic patterns
- Good knowledge about car mechanics
- Good knowledge of refugee camps and the surrounding Districts
- Good in communication in English; local language skills preferable
- Holder of qualification in Vehicle Maintenance and Repairs desired
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES:
- Flexible, effective team work and interpersonal skills
- Well-organized, systematic, careful, responsible, trustworthy and punctual
- A team player – personable, caring, helpful, reliable and diplomatic
- Good personal grooming and personal presentation
- Must be able to perform all physical aspects of the above job duties
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, shift duty and on public holidays as required
- Willingness to take regular and extensive travel to Alight project areas in provinces
- Commitment to the aims and goals of Alight
- Discreet and respectful of confidentiality
- Able to work under little to no supervision
Interested and qualified candidates should submit 1page Cover letter, and updated CV (maximum three pages) and names, title and contacts of three professional referees, to include most current employer/supervisor (all in/as one document) – via email only to: RWJobs@wearealight.org with the POSITION applied for clearly indicated in the subject line. The deadline for submission of applications is June 26th, 2021 at 16:00hrs. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.