VACANCY – NUTRITION ASSISTANT
ALIGHT works with its partners and constituencies to provide opportunities and expertise to refugees, displaced people and host communities – to better survive conflicts and crisis, and to rebuild lives of dignity, health, security and self-sufficiency. ALIGHT presently works in and with partners in seventeen countries globally. ALIGHT has consistently operated in Rwanda since the year 1994, and today has a strong and committed team of over eight hundred personnel who include full time staff, community mobilizers and incentive workers– implementing programs in Primary Health Care, Reproductive Health, HIV and Nutrition; also Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Shelter and general Infrastructure, Livelihoods/Economic strengthening, and Sexual and Gender Based Violence Prevention/ Protection. Our work in Rwanda currently covers all the refugee locations and their kind Rwandan-host communities. And we are always looking to expand and, jointly with our partners, offer lasting impact with and for the communities we serve! ALIGHT is looking for a qualified, self-driven and committed individual to join its team as Nutrition Assistant on FIXED TERM Contract for a duration of 6 months in any of the field sites (refugee camps) where ALIGHT has active operations in Primary Health care.
Based at the refugee camp site level, the Nutrition Assistant is responsible for ensuring proper supplemental food distribution and the nutrition counseling of beneficiaries through home visits and group education activities.
The Nutritionist Assistant will report to the Nutrition Coordinator.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in food distribution to beneficiaries according to different protocols;
- Ensure the proper use of supplementary food through home visits;
- Provide nutritional education to beneficiaries, their families, care takers, and provide them with accurate information about the nutrition, culinary demonstration, services, options and other resources;
- Promote maternal, infant and young child nutrition;
- Promote and train exclusive breastfeeding for first six months;
- Maintain current and accurate clients’ records as directed, collect and report relevant data about services provided, and prepare statistical reports as required
- Maintain clients’ confidentiality;
- Organize and carry-out home visits in camp living quarters;
- Collaborate with other Alight departments, and Health Centre as necessary;
- Present and listen to other health staff comments and ideas in self-assessment of clinical skills and challenges;
- Report to the Nutrition Coordinator for help in case there is any problem in his/her department;
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor, or any other Alight Senior Manager.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- A2 secondary school diploma in social work, nutrition, or related field required
- Relevant training in food and diets or experience in supplementary or therapeutic feeding programs is an added advantage;
- 1 year experience in nutrition activities, within a refugee setting preferred
- Good communication skills Kinyarwanda and English or French speaking skills required
- Experience in rural health center/ hospital setting
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES:
- Commitment to personally champion ALIGHT’s program vision and mission and inspire others to do the same;
- Ability to create self-reliance among refugees;
- Must have cross-cultural and strong interpersonal skills to work with refugees and vulnerable persons;
- Demonstrated good organization capabilities;
- Punctual at his/her duty station;
- Respectful and willing to support others;
- Confident in carrying out his/her tasks;
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality;
- Ability and willingness to live and work in a remote, low-resource setting.
Interested and qualified registered nurses should submit 1page Cover letter, and updated CV (maximum three pages) and names, title and contacts of three professional referees, to include most current employer/supervisor (all in/as one document) – via email only to: RWJobs@wearealight.org with the POSITION applied for clearly indicated in the subject line. The deadline for submission of applications is August 6th 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.