Legal Officer at Haguruka NGO: (Deadline 17 August 2022)
Founded in 1991, Haguruka is a non-governmental organization registered under Rwandan law working towards empowering women and children to claim their rights by improving their access to quality justice across the country. With head office in Kigali (the capital city of Rwanda) the organization has regional offices in the Northern, Eastern, Southern, and Western provinces of the country. Haguruka has a zero-tolerance approach towards sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment; and the organization implements programs that address the immediate human rights needs of vulnerable women and children while working towards combating Gender-Based Violence (GBV) and promoting gender equality.
Haguruka has the following three thematic areas are:
- Legal aid and psychosocial counseling support,
- Capacity development and awareness raising
- Research and advocacy.
Funded by A4ID, Haguruka is implementing a pro-bono legal aid project to support civil society organizations (CSOs) providing free legal services to the poorest and most vulnerable communities in Kigali using the expertise of Clifford Chance lawyers, as well as local Rwanda lawyers and law students.
With the above background, Haguruka is recruiting “a qualified legal officer” to provide legal aid services to poor and vulnerable right-holders under the direct supervision of the program department.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Providing legal aid services to the beneficiaries or rights holders via a toll-free line
- Draft legal briefs for right holders and submit cases through the IECMS system;
- Accompany and prepare notes, memoranda, letters, and other documents on legal matters to different institutions for legal and advocacy purposes;
- Maintain good collaboration with districts, Access to Justice Bureaus (MAJ), and Justice, Reconciliation, Law, and Order (JRLOS) district committees.
- Coordinate and maintain collaboration with the paralegals working under the area covered by the duty station;
- Draft and submit field reports, quarterly and annual reports to the supervisor
- Prepare court submissions to clients and other administrative correspondences and legal writings as required by the supervisor;
- Participate in meetings, workshops, and seminars;
- Perform any other duties as required by the supervisor
The Legal Officer will directly report to the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Officer or her/his designee.
QUALIFICATIONS AND TECHNICAL SKILLS(ESSENTIAL(E) AND EXPERIENCE (D)
- Bachelor’s degree in law; E
- At least 3 years of working experience in the domain; E
- Able to prepare legal opinions and briefs; E
- Excellent and strong reporting skills; D
- Demonstrated capacity in community mobilization; D
- Self–motivated and able to work with minimum supervision; D
- Excellent written and spoken Kinyarwanda and English; D
- Proficiently in the use of Microsoft office suites (Words & Excel preferably); E
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, E
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with fellow employees and members of the public, D
- Ability to interpret and explain as well as analyze the law and legal issues, E
- Knowledge of legal principles, practices, and procedures; E
Interested candidates with required skills and competencies are requested to submit their applications addressed to Haguruka Executive Secretary at: firstname.lastname@example.org. The application file includes a motivation letter and CV.
The applications will be accepted no later than August 17, 2022 at 5:00pm (local time).
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for written tests and interviews.
Done at Kigali on August 11, 2022
National Executive Secretary