Umwanya w’akazi wa GENERAL MANAGER muri African Leadership International Limited (Deadline: August 17th, 2022)
General Manager-Job Description
In 2035, Africa will have the largest workforce in the world and will need to catalyze transformation by empowering its largest untapped resource – its people. Fueled by this, the African Leadership Group is an ecosystem of institutions with a shared vision to harness Africa’s abundant human capital and transform the continent and the world by selecting, developing, and connecting 2 million young leaders to opportunities by 2030. ALG was founded over 15 years ago by Fred Swaniker, a serial entrepreneur recognized by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of 2019. ALX and The Room are two brands of the African Leadership Group.
ALX is our training arm, focused on developing skills for the fourth industrial revolution (software engineering, devops, data science, etc.) to ensure that Africa is able to compete effectively as the world undergoes a digital transformation. To cement this, through our legal entity African Leadership International (ALI), we have signed an agreement to acquire Silicon Valley based Holberton Inc. – a project-based, college alternative educating the next generation of software engineers. This will give us ownership of the advanced technology program that will enable us to provide global organizations access to significant untapped pools of talent that can bridge the growing global shortage of technology talent. For more on this, please read this article here.
The Room our talent placement arm, is a community that our young talent joins to access global work opportunities. To learn more about us, please read this article about why we launched The Room & this article about the impact of our development programs on African youth. View this pitch deck to see how we present ourselves to employers.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the General Manager, your mission is to grow The Room community in your city while driving its commercial success and impact. You will build and oversee a high performing team, run day to day operations, and oversee revenue generation.
You will be responsible for:
- Creating work opportunities for young Africans: You will help to facilitate work opportunities for young Africans in your city by enabling early career top talent to build relationships with mid-career members in The Room and local corporate partners;
- Membership Growth: You will ensure that the community grows, while maintaining its high caliber membership;
- P&L Ownership: You will have full P&L ownership as you grow revenue and manage costs to ensure profitability and sustainability;
- Business Development & partnerships: You will establish strategic partnerships with key stakeholders;
- Setting up a local franchise: You will identify a hospitality partner to host the physical space/member’s club called ‘The Room’ (once your city has a critical mass of members);
- Serving as the local Face of The Room: you will be The Room’s representative in key forums and with local media etc.
- Managing stakeholders: You will build and maintain key stakeholder relationships.
- Driving a culture of execution: You will serve as the custodian of The Room’s entrepreneurial ‘doer’ culture, rolling up your sleeves as a Founder–from engaging with VIPs and celebrities to setting the table for an intimate gathering — no job is out of scope.
Membership Growth: Measure by monthly new member growth
Customer experience: Measured by member net promoter score
Commercial success: Annual Recurring Revenue, Gross profit
Impact: Number of work opportunities created for young talent
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, or any related; Master’s degree is a plus;
- 5+ years of experience in management consulting, finance, or operations management;
- 3+ years’ experience building partnerships;
- Entrepreneurial mindset & high level of self-motivation;
- Strong business and financial acumen;
- Strong relationship building skills & stakeholder management;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience building & managing lean, high-performance teams;
- Ability to work in a dynamic and changing environment;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, highly organized and agile;
- Data-Driven decision making and capable of building financial models;
- Experience community business plus flexibility to travel frequently around your region.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and G-suite, especially Excel;
- Proficient in English, French and Kinyarwanda;
How to Apply
Interested candidates shall click to the “Apply” button below not later than August 17th, 2022.