International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) DELEGATION RWANDA
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. The ICRC also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening humanitarian law and universal humanitarian principles. Established in 1863, the ICRC is at the origin of the Geneva Conventions and the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. It directs and coordinates the international activities conducted by the Movement in armed conflicts and other situations of violence. We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated person for the below position based in Kigali under an initial contract of one year renewable.
Exciting Employment Opportunity with the ICRC in Rwanda
Position: Communication Officer, Rwanda
Duty Station: ICRC in Kigali, Rwanda
Reports to:Communication and Prevention Manager
The Communication Officer contributes to the design, planning and implementation of Communication projects and activities in coordination with the country communication and prevention manager. S/he contributes to representing the ICRC externally and to build the necessary understanding, acceptance and support of the ICRC among key stakeholders.
Generic Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to define communication and prevention objectives, strategies and plans of action for the area or programme covered in line with the priorities of the field structure and/or the delegation’s communication and/or prevention strategy.
- With minimum supervision, implements relevant activities and develop tools for public communication, media relations, digital communication; information analysis/ environment scanning; operational communication; community engagement; IHL promotion; building NS communication capacity; public affairs and resource mobilisation.
- Supports the country communication and prevention manager in networking with relevant stakeholders and represents ICRC with various audiences.
- Follows humanitarian developments, as well as other issues related to the ICRC’s reputation/perception and capacity to operate in the geographic area covered, contributing to analysis.
- Interprets and translates from and into local language in support of Communication programs when required.
- Provides technical and administrative support to the communication team (e.g. archiving, stock management, event organisation) when required.
- Supports communication-related training and coaching for staff of field structures and/or other departments when needed.
Key qualifications and experience:
- University degree or equivalent in a relevant field such as communications, political science, international relations, journalism or law.
- Fluent spoken and written English and/or French as well as the main local language.
- Computer skills (competence in MS Office and other software); familiarity with digital communication tools.
- Minimum 3 years’ work experience in communication and/or prevention, preferably with a humanitarian organisation is desirable.
- IHL knowledge an asset
- Sound knowledge of the political, social and media environment in the country / region covered
To apply please send your CV and cover letter with 3 work related referees to the e-mail below. All applications shall be marked: “Communication Officer” and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The application closing date is 10th June 2022, 5:00pm.