Research Associate, Food Technologist at International Potato Center: (Deadline 27 July 2022)
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking to recruit a Research Associate – Food Technologist to be based in Kigali, Rwanda.
The Position: The candidate will support the Market-driven, Resilient and Nutritious Agri-food Systems in the Humid zones of West and Central Africa (WCA) initiative. This initiative aims to build a more resilient, climate-smart, nutritious, gender equitable and viable food production system through development and scaling of novel and inclusive production and post-harvest technologies, participatory decision-making and planning, and informed governance systems. In Rwanda, previous research undertaken by the International Potato Center (CIP) demonstrated the potential for developing economically viable processed products using orange-fleshed sweetpotato puree as a key ingredient and other products (fried, juice) using sweetpotato roots.
The selected candidate will report to the Senior Research Associate for planning and implementation of the WCA activities and co-supervise by the Food Chemistry – Post Doc for technical evaluation and support.
- In collaboration with partners on the initiative, identify potential integration of other target crops into product development process.
- Assess interest and capacity of selected SMEs in Central Africa (technically and from a business standpoint) to engage in sweetpotato product value chains.
- Lead the procuring and testing of innovative equipment as it becomes available.
- Collaborate with private sector companies in developing viable sweetpotato product value chains.
- Conduct consumer preference surveys to gain insights into consumer preferences linked to selected sweetpotato products.
- Ensure collaborating partners are trained in food safety protocols.
- Collaborate with the Food Analysis and Nutrition Evaluation laboratory in assessing nutrient composition of products developed.
- Participate in regular team meetings, engaging in multi-sectoral planning and contributing to other activities upon supervisor’s request.
- Produce progress reports of the research on a timely basis.
- Prepare monthly stories from the field.
- MSc degree in Food Technology or Food Science.
- Minimum 6 years of relevant work experience, having worked on projects that engaged with private sectors is a plus.
- Experience in product development is highly preferred.
- Proven ability in developing marketing strategies.
- Strong skills in in nutrition and statistics.
- Excellent interpersonal relationships skills and teamwork orientation
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English.
- Knowledge of French.
What are we offering?
- Excellent working environment.
- Generous compensation package commensurate with experience.
- Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
What are the conditions?
The position is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Rwanda nationals and permanent residents only. The employment contract will be for 1 year (with a 3-month probation period), subject to continued availability of funds.