Programme Associate – Home Grown School Feeding at World Food Programme (WFP): (Deadline 15 August 2022)
Job Title: Programme Associate – Home Grown School Feeding
Type of Contract & Level: Service Contract (SC); level_6
Reporting to: Head of Field Office,
Duty Station: Karongi Field Office
Duration: 1 year renewable
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP Rwanda works in partnership with the Government and other stakeholders through the direct implementation of integrated programmes targeting the most vulnerable people and will progressively shift towards building national capacity to formulate, manage and implement programmes for achieving zero hunger. In implementing its activities, WFP will bridge the humanitarian–development nexus and leverage its extensive experience and the contributions it has made in Rwanda over many decades to achieve five strategic outcomes:
- Refugees and returnees in Rwanda have access to adequate and nutritious food at all times.
- Vulnerable populations in food-insecure communities and areas have improved access to adequate and nutritious food all year.
- Children under 5, adolescents and pregnant and nursing women and girls in Rwanda have improved access to nutritious foods and services that enable them to meet their nutrition needs all year.
- Smallholder farmers, especially women, have increased marketable surplus and access to agricultural markets through efficient supply chains by 2030.
- The Government of Rwanda and the humanitarian community is provided with adequate, timely, cost-efficient and agile supply chain services and expertise necessary to effectively respond to emergency crisis.
Under Strategic Outcome 2:WFP provides home-grown school feeding in food insecure areas in Rwanda and acts as a key technical partner of the Government of Rwanda in developing and expanding the national school feeding programme. WFP is recruiting a School Feeding Programme Associate to be based in the Karongi Field Office, Rwanda. This position will contribute to programme implementation and monitoring and reporting at the field office level along with the provision of technical assistance to government.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
To provide effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
This is a one-year position with potential to extend. Under the direct supervision of the Head of Field Office, and technical supervision of the Home-Grown School Feeding (HGSF) Project Manager in Kigali, the Programme Associate will be responsible for providing effective specialized support and technical analyses to policy and programme activities linked to the HGSF Programme within the delegated authority. Specifically, the Programme Associate will be responsible for the following key duties:
- In collaboration with the District Education Officer, District Coordinators, the HGSF CO team and the Head of Field Office, he will support the roll out of the national school feeding programme within the HGSF intervention districts including the establishment of school feeding committees at the district, sector and school levels as well as the roll out of capacity building interventions.
- In collaboration with the Head of Field Office, he will provide guidance to the HGSF CO team to inform the alignment and integration of the HGSF programme to the national school feeding programme and oversee implementation of programme alignment.
- Provide technical support and assist in the development and implementation of various activities and processes linked to the HGSF Programme at the field office level, supporting alignment with wider programme policies and guidelines.
- Act as a focal point for all HGSF-related field activities, in close consultation with the WFP field office, country office and HGSF unit.
- Provide specialized project management support to specific and/or defined programmes to ensure that the various activities are performed within the established targets following WFP’s policies and procedures.
- Within the specific area of responsibility, he will prepare a range of reports and data analysis (e.g. food assistance needs, resource utilization, programme status, performance) and highlight trends/issues ensuring deliverables adhere to corporate standards and quality control.
- Ensure and/or perform accurate, timely recording of data within the specific technical area of work (e.g. assistance programmes, food security and vulnerability assessments) and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to support effective collaboration, implementation and monitoring of ongoing project activities.
- Coordinate and communicate with local partners, agencies, NGOs, government institutions and JADF to perform HGSF-related activities in a timely and effective manner.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, implementing partners, schools, and district/sector government within the specific technical area.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A University degree in education, development studies, nutrition, M&E , Programme and other relevant area.
Experience: Minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience in development studies, education, nutrition, M&E, programme, etc. and other relevant area?
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: French.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has worked with technical teams related to nutrition, education, VAM, or other relevant areas.
- Has contributed to implementation of programmes.
- Has experience working in remote areas
- Has observed or assisted with policy discussions.
- Has experience leading teams.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance||Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.|
|Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Vouchers)||Demonstrates ability to implement, under guidance, food assistance programmes deploying the full range of transfer modalities with an understanding of basic principles guiding modality selection and implementation.|
|Broad Knowledge of Specialized Areas||Understands basic technical concepts and data and their relevance to food assistance programmes.|
|Emergency Programming||Displays capacity to provide inputs into the development, implementation and realignment of high quality emergency programmes.|
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/Government||Understands and applies basic principles of engagement with government counterparts at the national or local level.|
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This position is open for one year with possibility of renewal, depending on fund availability and satisfactory performance.
- WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
- Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP. http://www.wfp.orgClick on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline for submitting the online application is on the 15th of August 2022.