JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
INTERVENTION OFFICER (f/m)
Enabel is the Belgian development agency. It implements Belgium’s governmental cooperation. The agency also works for other national and international donors. With its partners in Belgium and abroad, Enabel offers solutions to address pressing global challenges – Climate Change, Urbanisation, Human Mobility, Peace and Security, Economic and Social Inequality – and to promote Global Citizenship. With 2,000 staff, Enabel manages about 170 projects in twenty countries, in Belgium, Africa and the Middle East.
In July 2021 the Board of Green Climate Fund (GCF) approved a 6 years TREPA project (“Transforming Eastern Province through Adaptation”) , a multi-stakeholder project financed through the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) as an Accredited Entity which signed Master Agreement with the GCF on behalf of other parties, including the Ministry of Environment, Rwanda Forestry Authority, Enabel, ICRAF, World Vision and CORDAID.
This project is focusing on the landscape’s restoration for adaptation of the Eastern province of Rwanda to droughts, through sustainable forest management, dissemination of agroforestry and sylvo-pastoral technics, restoration of protective forests, dissemination of clean cooking solutions, farmers group organization, access to microfinance, support to products value chains, etc.
Enabel is one of the 3 executing entities (which are Enabel, IUCN and Rwanda Forestry Authority RFA) and will be in charge of the output 1.2.3, 1.5 and partly 3.4 (forestry and cooking solution components of the GCF -TRPA project.
In addition to TREPA, Enabel is also co-implementing with RFA and IUCN another Community Biodiversity Project financed by the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA), complementing the GCF- TREPA project. This intervention entitled “Reducing vulnerability to climate change through enhanced community-based biodiversity conservation in the Eastern Province of Rwanda (COMBIO)” , will be implemented in the same intervention zones as GCF-TREPA , contributing to climate change mitigation and adaptation through enhanced community based biodiversity restoration and conservation in the Eastern Province of Rwanda.
Under COMBIO, Enabel will be primarily responsible to setting up a network of about 35 community biodiversity natural sanctuaries (five per each district with about 20hectares each sanctum), as well as development of nature -based community enterprises and value chains associated with these sanctuaries.
To support these two projects (TREPA and COMBIO), Enabel is recruiting a national intervention Officer (f/m) .
Duty Location: Kigali, Rwanda, with frequent travels to Eastern Province
Duration of the contract: Open-ended employment contract – local contract according to the Rwandan labor law
Expected starting date: September 2022
Salary package Salary package according to our salary grids (class 5 – Intervention Officer): : From 1.852.952RWF gross salary depending on the number of years of relevant experience.
Under the direct supervision of Intervention Manager for DeSIRA, TREPA and COMBIO projects, the Intervention Officer will assist in day-to day planning and implementation of the above-mentioned projects, ensuring that the interventions have relevant information about results and use it for reporting, decision making, learning, and rendering accounts of results achieved. He/she will ensure that the performance of Enabel interventions is monitored, and best practices are communicated well to stakeholders and public at large.
In general, (s)he will:
- Support the Intervention Manager in putting in place a monitoring system of the outcomes and results of the interventions in order to have all necessary information to follow up performance, prepare regular performance reports, to support strategic decision making, to render accounts of results achieved and to generate the necessary data for evaluation, action research and knowledge building.
- Develop standard, user-friendly and result-focused templates/tools for monitoring and reporting progress towards achievement of results, in line with the broader M&E guidelines of Enabel and the existing tools of Enabel;
- Coordinate results monitoring with Implementation in order to provide each indicator with information and to be able to use the information obtained to follow up performance, to support strategic decision making, to render accounts of results achieved and to promote learning.
- Advise Intervention Manager on the planning and monitoring activities in order to ensure programme or intervention management in accordance with the management for results principles.
- Organise and supports learning activities in order to ensure that lessons are drawn, that the relevant experiences from execution are capitalized and disseminated.
- Promote a results-oriented culture and ensure that management for results becomes a common responsibility
- Network with M&E experts of Enabel and other partner organizations in order to continuously learn, share lessons learned, remain informed of recent M&E evolutions and adopt an innovative attitude.
- Ensure capacity development of partner entities in order to contribute to the improvement of their organization, processes and systems and of their staff’s competences.
- Lead the interventions mid- and end-term review and evaluation processes.
- Support the preparation of the M&E plan, including to help interventions establish baselines and targets.
- Assure documentation of results of the interventions and act as communication focal point for Enabel Rwanda interventions in forestry, agroforestry , biodiversity and climate change, assuring relevant and frequent communications on various media channels (Twitter and Facebook articles, contributions to Belgian Embassy newsletter, Open enabel.be, etc…)
qualification and experience
- Rwandan Citizen
- Master’s degree in Natural Resources Management, Environmental Management, Agriculture, Rural Development Studies, Project Management, Social Sciences, Statistics, Economics or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in coordinating on field project activities or Monitoring & Evaluation of development interventions or research projects.
- A background knowledge and experience in areas of natural resources management; Forestry and/ or Agroforestry; Biodiversity and Environmental management would be a strong asset.
- Knowledge and experience of Results- Based Management; project cycle management, Theory of Change and logical framework is an asset;
- Knowledge and experience with data management/statistics;
- Advanced skills in mobile data collection tools (e.g. Kobo Toolbox, ODK, etc…)
- Expertise in reporting and learning exercises (evaluation, action research, knowledge building);
- Knowledge and experience in corporate communications is an asset
- Proficiency in English with excellent oral and written communication skills; professional knowledge of French as well would be an asset;
- Ability to write and translate a professional text in English and Kinyarwanda ;
- Ability to establish public relations;
- Very good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint) and practical knowledge of the Internet and web design;
- Good analysis and information processing capabilities.
- Proactive, innovative, and creative (e.g. be able to reflect on the improvement of the internal and external communication to capitalize experiences and “lessons learnt”)
- Able to work under time pressure with no objection to undertake field missions.
- Capacity to work in a multicultural context
- Ability to work independently to produce expected results
- Mature, good communicator and team player
- High level of rigor, integrity and willing to learn
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
Applicants are also required to commit to the vision, mission and values of Enabel (https://www.enabel.be/content/enabel-vision-mission-values) .
Following this recruitment procedure, a shortlist of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
How to apply
Interested applicants fulfilling the above-mentioned criteria are invited to submit their application documents through Job in Rwanda by clicking the Carefully filling in this application form including detailed Curriculum Vitae (max 5 pages), a motivation letter and a copy of University degree(s). Past and current service certificates also need to be attached to the application (unproven experience will not be considered during the shortlisting). Specify in your CV the names of three referees (former direct supervisor) as well as their emails and telephone numbers. Submit the full file not later than 08th July 2022
Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
Only online applications are accepted. Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Done at Kigali, 29th June 2022
Resident Representative, Enabel Rwanda