ABOUT ONE ACRE FUND
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We have helped farmers plant millions of trees so far and plan to support the planting of hundreds of millions more over the next ten years. The Agroforestry Technical Lead will support teams to refine their models to make them as impactful, efficient, and environmentally responsible as possible, while also expanding scale and farmer access. You will improve the organisation’s technical capacity and translate your expertise into action. You will report to our Global Agroforestry Lead.
- Improve seedling survival rates. Improvements in our survival rates across countries will result in millions of more trees in the ground for the longer term. To achieve this, you will work with country teams to understand the root causes affecting survival rates, identify solutions to increase survival rates, and design and launch trials to test out leading ideas with an aim to scale any successful interventions to a regional and national level.
- Develop tree variety pipelines. You will create tools to identify area appropriate species; link these with farmer and market demand trends and the impact strategy for each country program. From this, you will design a strategy to trial and scale varieties over multiple seasons with in-country teams.
- Secure our seedling supply chain through our in-house production models. You will deliver trainings on best practices for nursery management and species management and implement tactics and tools to reliably track field performance.
- Implement adoption boosting field tactics. You will translate our goals through field teams by using your experience and tactics from other sources to refine our marketing and distribution strategies to boost adoption results in each country.
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- 5+ years working in smallholder agroforestry with demonstrated managerial responsibilities including strategy development and performance management
- Field experience working in smallholder farmer agroforestry
- A track-record of implementation preferred, taking projects from strategic to operational within a relatively short amount of time
- Bachelors or advanced degree in Agroforestry preferred
- Language: English required in all locations. Other local languages desirable
PREFERRED START DATE
As soon as possible
Nairobi, Kenya or Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or Kigali, Rwanda
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Country Nationals of Kenya ,Tanzania and Rwanda
9 August 2022
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
INDI MYANYA Y’AKAZI YATAMBUTSE:
Kanda ku mwanya wifuza gusaba muri iyi ikurikira: