Vacancy for ambitious and knowledgeable professionals with a passion for rural development
Agriterra is the world’s leading not-for-profit agri-agency from-and-for agricultural cooperatives and farmer organizations. Our mission is to strengthen organized farmers in developing and emerging countries, given the importance of effectively organized farmers to sustainably address food security, economic development, climate adaptation and mitigation.
We were founded 25 years ago by Dutch farmer cooperatives and have over the years evolved into an organization partnering and supporting farmer cooperatives and organizations worldwide. Agriterra assist them with advice and training through peer-to-peer support in combination with locally based experts. We apply a three-track approach: we make cooperatives bankable and create real farmer-led companies, we improve extension services to farmer members, and we enhance farmer-government dialogues. Our advisory practice covers the full range of services on Management & Organization, Financial Management, Governance, Business Development and Lobby & Advocacy.
Agriterra is organized with a head office in Arnhem, the Netherlands, and has a network of 12 country offices spread over Africa and Asia; employing approximate 170 staff members. We are financed and work via donor granted projects and programmes. These long-lasting strategic partnerships with a variety of donors are key for us in our day-to-day work.
In the context of the PRISM project that aims the promotion of poultry and piggery farming, Agriterra has been assigned to provide the support to farmers in increasing the productivity of maize and soybean as the main ingredients for animal feeds processing plants and facilitate the market linkage between farmers cooperatives and plants through the Out-grower service company (OSC) project. For a new and innovative initiative in the Rwandan maize and soybean value chains, Agriterra is hiring 2 agronomists who will be working on the project in two districts namely Kirehe (Eastern province and Gisagara (Southern province).
Position: Two agronomists for OSC Project
Location: Kirehe District (Eastern province) and Gisagara District (Southern Province)
As an agronomist, you will be working on a consultancy contract under Agriterra Rwanda, stationed at a maize cooperative in Kirehe or Gisagara district. Together with a selection of maize cooperatives, Agriterra is setting up an innovative business model, based on the principles of economies of scale, competitive advantage creation through the injection of knowledge and collective action. We aim to strengthen the bargaining power of smallholder maize and soybean farmers and their respective cooperatives, by creating a new market-oriented initiative of service provision and aggregation. As an agronomist, you will be responsible for the provision of state-of-the-art extension services about good agricultural practices to the members of the selected cooperatives in Kirehe or Gisagara districts. You will advise farmers and monitor and record their production costs and revenues and motivate them to reach the highest yields possible. Your attention will improve their yields and economic position and will increase their commitment to their cooperative and the new initiative. You will be a representative of Agriterra in the rural area, at the same time as representing the cooperative and the new business model. You will be committed to increasing the yields and the aggregated produce on a cooperative level while working in a team with four other agronomists based in different districts and a manager. As a professional, you will be able to balance the interests of the cooperatives you are dedicated to with the interests of the collective action initiative and Agriterra. At harvesting time and during the post-harvest handling you ensure that appropriate practices are applied and aligned with the quality and safety standards from the selected off-takers. You will base your daily advisory services on your profound knowledge of two key sourcing models: the grain model for both maize and soybean and the cob model only for maize.
- Proximity coaching of farmers on the application of good agricultural practices (GAP) and Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in maize and soybean production
- Proximity coaching of farmers on the application of post-harvest handling practices in maize and soybean value chains
- Establishment of farmer field school (FFS) at the cooperatives and monitoring the implementation
- Collect information on the demand for farm inputs and assist in their supply and distribution process
- Thoroughly and progressively study the cooperatives you are responsible for to foresee and report on the situations that would prevent the cooperatives from aggregating the produce from members and selling to contracted buyers
- Ensure the cooperatives you are responsible for, and farmers beneficiaries of the project have enough information about the project and exactly know the objectives of the project
- Ensure proper data recording, sharing, and facilitating of all project M&E activities
- Facilitate the aggregation and delivery to the contracted buyers
- Ensure good communication between you, Agriterra, and local government
- To carry out other tasks as assigned by Agriterra Rwanda
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual reports to Agriterra Rwanda
- A0 in Agriculture or rural development with at least 2 years of working experience in a related field
- Valid driving license category A is a must
- Knowledge of existing and innovative agronomic practices
- Demonstrable experience in the maize and/or soybean value chain
- Experience in smallholder farmers’ organizations for the collective marketing is an added advantage
- A respectful and motivated attitude towards farmers and their organizations
- Good computer skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good interpersonal and writing skills in Kinyarwanda and French/English
- Organizational skills
- Ability to work in an innovative business model, with loyalty to farmers, cooperatives, the new business and Agriterra
- Ability to live and work in Kirehe or Gisagara District.
Are you interested?
Are you interested in this position, and do you fit the profile? Apply before the 28th of June 2022 with a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and academic certificate in one PDF file, by sending an e-mail to email@example.com to the attention of Mr. Jasper Spikker, Agriterra Rwanda Country representative, with reference code mentioned as the subject in your application email : ATRW-8706/OSC-AGR.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
INDI MYANYA Y’AKAZI YATAMBUTSE:
Kanda ku mwanya wifuza gusaba muri iyi ikurikira: