2 Job Positions at Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA): (Deadline 15 July 2022)
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Lecturer at Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA): (Deadline 15 July 2022)
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Lecturer
The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and East Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co-curricular learning opportunities emphasizing practical hands-on skills, Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will gain experience in the six Enterprises that include, Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable and Fruit Crops, Irrigation and Mechanization, and Food Processing. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts, or take on positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda.
We are seeking an Integrated Pest Management professional to join a world-class team of educators and researchers at RICA. Ideal candidates will have a passion for education with a focus on conservation agriculture and systems thinking, and will actively engage with students in the learning environment by demonstrating technical skills and mentoring students. Such a candidate will commit to the RICA teaching philosophy, which celebrates experiential learning that is founded in research and extends to the community. This position is a comprehensive teaching position whereby the successful candidate is a stakeholder in all aspects of the program, including but not limited to, the responsibilities listed below.
- Participate in team teaching the experiential first-year Practical Farming series.
- Team-teach elective classes in Integrated Pest Management to second and third-year students and participate in cropping systems teaching.
- As part of a team mentor students on capstone experiences.
- Assist Enterprise leads in designing and managing crop and animal operations.
- Champion Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles in teaching and mentoring.
- Join the extension team in providing solutions to pest management questions for RICA and the community.
- Fluent speaker of English.
- MS in Weed Science, Entomology, Plant Pathology or other relevant degree in agriculture or natural resources.
- Teaching experience.
- Enthusiasm for conservation agriculture, experiential learning, and team teaching.
- PhD in Weed Science, Entomology or Plant Pathology.
- Experience teaching higher education agriculture students.
- Experience in active and experiential learning and team teaching.
- Experience in curriculum and course design.
- Experience managing pests of African agriculture.
- Experience or academic qualifications with management of weeds, insect pests and/or plant pathogens.
- Demonstrated success in research and/or extension (e.g. presentations, publications, awards).
BENEFITS OF JOINING THE RICA TEAM
Staff at RICA are part of creating something unique in the world. While working with world-class educators and researchers, you will transform agriculture in Rwanda and East Africa for a conservation-minded and food-secure future. RICA staff also receive a salary commensurate with the applicant’s background, and a relocation allowance for international faculty.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit the following documents in English.
(Please combine your resume/CV with your degree certificate as one PDF file before you upload.)
- Cover Letter summarizing intent and suitability for the position.
- A resume or CV.
- Official degree certificate for highest degree obtained.
- Summary of the applicant’s teaching experiences (500 words max).
- The applicant’s philosophy of education and how this aligns with the mission of RICA (500 words max).
- List of recommenders with contact information.
Application review will begin July 15, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
Quantity Surveyor at Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA)
The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language undergraduate institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and East Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co-curricular learning opportunities emphasizing Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will experience the six Enterprises including Beef Cattle and Small Ruminants, Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable and Tree Crops, Irrigation and Mechanization. The curriculum is designed to incorporate threads of Innovation, Conservation, OneHealth Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship. Communication, One Health Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship are woven throughout the curriculum. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts, or assume positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda.
The Quantity Surveyor (QS) will be responsible for managing all aspects of the contractual and financial sides of either the design or construction stages of the projects they are involved with.
As the Quantity Surveyor, you will be involved in, but not limited to:
- Pricing / forecasting the cost of the different resources and materials needed for the projects
- be able to prepare tender or bidding documents, contracts, budgets, bills of quantities, specifications, and other documentation
- track changes to the design and/or construction work and adjust project budget projections accordingly
- procure or agree the services of contractors and/or subcontractors who will work on the construction of the projects
- be able to measure, value and document the work done on site
- measure, prepare and manage payments to subcontractors
- liaise with the employer and other construction professionals, such as site managers, project managers and site engineers
- select and/or source construction materials and long-lead items
- be able to compile, timely and accurate status reporting on progress and forward planning, for weekly, monthly, and ad-hoc reports.
- Prepare and issue monthly payment certificates for contractors and subcontractors
- Prepare a Monthly Cost Report (MCR), analyzing the projected project cost and monthly valuation of works, to determine remaining cost to complete and sustained project viability.
- Attend weekly progress meetings held between the Client and the Contractors.
- Education/Training: Degree or Certificate/Diploma in Quantity Surveying, Engineering or Construction Management.
- Registration as a Quantity Surveyor under the Rwanda Institute of Architects will be an asset.
- Civil Engineering Consulting and Construction experience/ education would be an asset.
- Extensive experience with building & civil engineering design and/or construction, e.g., at least 8 years specific construction and/or designing project experience.
- Knowledge of planning and resource management required for construction projects
- Knowledge of claims management and defense of claims
- A good working knowledge of MS Excel and recommended: the use of specialist quantity surveying software.
KEY SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to interpret and summarize information quickly and accurately
- Attention to detail and a methodical approach to work
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good record keeping skills
- Ability to work independently
- Good numeracy
- the ability to learn how to use specialist software
- The ability to work in a team
- The ability to negotiate
HOW TO APPLY
- Fill the information required, upload and submit the documents in English to the link provided below.
Please combine your resume/CV with your degree certificate as one PDF file before you upload.
Application review will begin June 07, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
INDI MYANYA Y’AKAZI YATAMBUTSE:
Kanda ku mwanya wifuza gusaba muri iyi ikurikira: